Back To The 1980’s

I’ve been wanting to knit a short-sleeved pullover sweater for myself and knew I had a pattern leaflet somewhere. I finally found it and it is definitely very 80’s style but I like it and now I need to go stash diving for yarn.

The patterns call for sport weight yarn and I may have enough sport weight cotton yarn but I’m not sure. I may even have enough hand-spun cotton in my stash!

I could also simply pick a top-down pattern from one of Elizabeth Zimmermann’s books and incorporate a lacy pattern of some kind. This is the sort of thing I would like to wear in autumn and I could make a long-sleeve version for colder weather. I’m thinking along the lines of a loose fitting, sweatshirt style pullover, maybe with raglan sleeves. It’s still in the planning stage in my brain and I haven’t written anything down yet.

On another front I discovered a neat project while reading some recent posts in a Gab group on crafts. I’m going to make some home-made play dough for the grandkids. It calls for gel food coloring and recommends purchasing a large container of cream of tartar, both of which I found online and just ordered. I’ve got plenty of flour and salt and vegetable oil. I’m thinking of picking up a non-stick pan to use when processing the play dough.

I have been using only stainless steel cookware on my smooth top range and the only non-stick pans I’ve seen are ceramic clad on the bottom and I don’t want to use that on my range top. But I have a two burner hot plate that I could set up on the kitchen counter. I bought it for doing small batches of hand dyed fiber and yarn and it should work with a non-stick pan. Now all I need is a pan and I can stop by Walmart later today and see what they have. I don’t see any sense in purchasing an expensive pan for this sort of thing. However, I could make a run over to Tuesday Morning in the neighboring town and see what they have.

I had some errands to run yesterday and intended to run in to Albertson’s for a couple of things but my plans went a bit awry. On the way in to town there was a traffic backup at a major intersection right by Albertson’s. There had been an injury accident and fire and rescue were directing traffic and trying to deal with the situation.

I finally made it through the intersection and was getting ready to turn into Albertson’s when I saw another fire engine and an ambulance parked in front of the main entrance to the store! I quickly changed gears and went on to my next stop which was the post office to pick up a couple of packages and get the mail out of the box. Then I headed to the other end of town to get the SUV washed and came back to Albertson’s hoping whatever was going on had been dealt with.

No such luck. The parking lot was now pretty much deserted and although the fire engine and ambulance had left the fire marshal’s vehicle was still parked at the front entrance. As I drove through the parking lot toward the front of the store I noticed a dozen or so employees all standing outside! Then another fire engine pulled in behind me and headed to the front of the store. So much for a quick trip to the grocery store.

After I got home I got on Brad’s laptop and checked his Facebook. The county scanner page had something about smoke coming out of one of the A/C compressors at the store causing them to evacuate. It wasn’t that long ago that all those units on top of the roof of the store were replaced.

Anyway, I sat down and put in a grocery order online and went back to town to pick it up a few hours later so all is well. I still need to go by the store today and pick up a few greeting cards since I am completely out at the moment and I need a birthday card for my sister-in-law. It should have already been in the mail by now!

Time to get moving! I need coffee and I have a doctors appointment later this morning. Brad is having breakfast with a buddy of his and I’m pretty sure when I get back he will be needing a little TLC after his PT session yesterday. He saw his surgeon before he went to PT and got an OK to see our chiropractor next week. He’s made a lot of progress but he is going to be very sore for the next few days and will need to take it easy.

Published by thenerdyyarnlady

I am a Native Texan, Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Great-Grandmother, Catholic Convert residing in rural North East Texas since 1975 when I married my husband and this small town girl became a country girl. I was taught to knit at the age of ten and discovered the writings of Elizabeth Zimmerman shortly after I married. I learned to ‘unvent’ things as I went along, to create my own patterns and generally have a blast with yarn and needles. In the mid 1980’s I explored the idea of spinning my own yarn and eventually got interested in weaving on a floor loom. I have three spinning wheels and a 24″ four-shaft Herald floor loom that I purchased from a friend in the 1990’s. I also enjoy sewing, tatting and making rosaries. I have a work room that contains my fiber, yarn, floor loom, sewing machines, serger and rosary making supplies. I have a spinning corner in a bedroom next to my work room, both with north windows looking toward the creek.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: