Switching Gears

I have three pairs of socks ready to turn the heels and my hands are telling me I need a break from the size 2mm needles so I’m working on Gabriel’s Summer Blanket for the next few days.

I have three skeins of this yarn and two other colorways, same yarn, same company. After finally doing the math I realized these three skeins won’t be enough. When I was finished with my figures, by adding the other two skeins which will make nice contrast btw, I was right on the money yardage-wise for a 36″x45″ blanket. Ta Da!

The CryoFreeze CBD gel in the background is a big help for my sore hands, especially my right thumb joint.

I’m planning on a rectangular blanket so I will continue to increase on both sides until it measures 36″ on each increase side then I will continue to increase on one side and begin to decrease on the opposite side in order to get the rectangular shape I want. When the longer side measures 45″ I will begin decreasing that side as well to finish off the corner.

I’ve made some changes in my studio to make better use of space. I love having the recliner in there and figured out a different arrangement so that I can get to the floor loom without moving much stuff to access it.

All I have to do is move the inkle loom and the box fan and slide the loom out for warping and weaving. I can even angle it a bit if I like and allow more elbow room for throwing the shuttle.

I can reach the plastic bins better now and still have use of my work table. I’ve got a power strip within reach for the laptop when I need it in this room as well as my coffee warmer and the diffuser.

And I have my sewing machine set up for the mending I need to finish.

We had a marvelous Independence Day celebration at the family farm with our daughter, son-in-law, five grand-kids and two German Shepherd dogs. I got to see the chickens for the second time. There are six hens and I don’t know their breeds, but there are two each of three breeds in the coop.

One of the hens, Rosebud, has become my new best friend. She didn’t like the fireworks. At. All. The farm is just a few miles from a local lake where people go to watch fireworks and you can see the fireworks from the back yard at the farm. Rachel, soon to be twelve years old, picked up Rosebud and handed her to me. I’d never held a chicken before so it was interesting. Rosebud snuggled up and clucked softly to me. As I stroked her she ducked her head under my hand and hid from the fireworks. Bless her heart! She snuggled deeper into my arms and gave a big sigh. Then the rest of the hens were beginning to roost in their house and so I put her with them.

We didn’t see the horses or the cattle. They were probably down hiding along the creek what with all the noise from area fireworks. On our way home we kept hearing police sirens. We had opted to drive around the street that goes by the High School football stadium because the fireworks show there was breaking up and people were heading home. The street we chose to take had very few people headed east like we were but it was nose to tail traffic headed west.

As we got to the main highway we looked back toward the direction of the stadium and it appeared as though there were at least two patrol cars, lights flashing, at a major intersection that we would have had to cross if we’d stuck to our usual route home from the farm. The farm is west of town and we live east of town and there are only a couple of routes to travel without having to wind around out of the way through residential neighborhoods.

Add to the holiday traffic the fact that major streets are under construction for replacing water and sewer mains, one of the construction zones just a block east of where the patrol cars were in a sea of other vehicles. We definitely picked the right route to get home through town, even if it did mean creeping over three sets of rough railroad tracks. Then, when we were back on the FM road headed home we heard yet another police siren and saw lights in the rear view and side view mirrors and Brad pulled over. A DPS trooper went flying by us headed out of town the same direction we were headed. We kept praying that he would turn off and head south at the next main FM road and it appeared that he had. Prayers were offered for the officers and whomever they were going to assist. It was already after 10:00 pm so there was nothing on the news yet. I hope no one was badly injured.

It’s nearly 1:00 am. We both ate too much and will probably sleep in our recliners tonight. But, it was a fun night and we needed the family time together. My only regret is that I forgot to take the camera. Rats. I’ll do better next week when we are back at the farm for Rachel’s birthday.

Published by thenerdyyarnlady

I am a Native Texan, Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Great-Grandmother, Catholic Convert residing in rural North East Texas since 1975 when I married my husband and this small town girl became a country girl. I was taught to knit at the age of ten and discovered the writings of Elizabeth Zimmerman shortly after I married. I learned to ‘unvent’ things as I went along, to create my own patterns and generally have a blast with yarn and needles. In the mid 1980’s I explored the idea of spinning my own yarn and eventually got interested in weaving on a floor loom. I have three spinning wheels and a 24″ four-shaft Herald floor loom that I purchased from a friend in the 1990’s. I also enjoy sewing, tatting and making rosaries. I have a work room that contains my fiber, yarn, floor loom, sewing machines, serger and rosary making supplies. I have a spinning corner in a bedroom next to my work room, both with north windows looking toward the creek.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: